So, things on the paci front are going well. The first few days were bad but I think she's officially kicked the addiction. She hasn't asked for her paci since Monday and, although she doesn't go to sleep quite as easily as she did before, I'd say we're well on our way. When I say the first few days were bad I mean like having--five-accidents-on-purpose-because-she-was-so-mad bad. And like sticking-her-finger-down-her-throat-to-try-and-make-herself-throw-up bad. I'm so not kidding! Can you believe a 2-year-old would do something like that? Well, believe it! Mine did! Things were so bad on Monday. She wanted that paci back and was so mad that I wouldn't give it to her. She was throwing fits all afternoon so I would put her in her room and tell her she needed to take a break until her heart was happy. She would just instantly pee on the floor in her room and scream, "I HAD AN ACCIDENT!!!" Or one time when I put her in there she screamed out, "I'M GONNA HAVE AN ACCIDENT!!!" And she did. Totally on purpose. Then when I would try to talk to her (as calmly as I possibly could, despite how angry I was!), she kept trying to stick her finger down her throat and gag herself. I don't even know how she knows how to do that. Or why she would want to. Let's just say this situation brought to light my sweet daughter's sinful nature. It was not one of my favorite days in my mothering life. It's amazing how God uses our children to shape and mold us though. I constantly had to stop and pray for patience on Monday. I am not a patient person. I'm just not. And cleaning up pee over and over and over again was really wearing on the little amount of patience I have. God really just impressed on my heart how much I need Him and His strength as I mother because on my own, I just don't have it.
So, I guess you could say it was a big week for both of us. Claire finally kicked her paci habit and I got some serious reminders from the Lord that I just simply cannot do this mama thing unless I'm seeking Him daily and begging for help from the Almighty One.
5 comments:
Way to go for hanging in there! I know who to call for encouragement when we go through it!
WOW. I didn't know Claire had it in her! Way to be consistent - that's the key! You're a GOOD mama!
Kudos to you for perseverance! I love that you tell her she needs a break until "her heart is happy." I'm going to have to remember that one!
Way to persevere Annie! That reminds me of what I would label my hardest day of mothering to date: the day after Bonk #1 and Forest was coming off of the anesthesia from getting stitches in his forehead. Willow was three months old and he was insane. I remember repeating to myself all day as he through the most insane tantrums (and he is my laid-back guy!), "I'm just thankful it wasn't worse... I'm just thankful I still have him... " It all passes so quickly in the big picture! You're doing great. Way to seek the only true Strength through it all!
Amen sista- and Anni and Claire are DEFINTELY related!!
Post a Comment