I was blessed with four INCREDIBLE grandparents. Seriously. I lost my first grandparent when I was 26 so I was so fortunate to be able to know my grandparents into my adult years... such a treasure. They all loved so well. They loved each other. They loved their families. They loved me. Each one of them is just so special to me.. I have so many incredible memories of them all. For some reason, Grandpa Lower is the one I can look back on and say, "I learned so much from him." Maybe it was because we lived only fifteen minutes from them growing up. Maybe it was because he had such a BIG personality. Maybe it was because of his boldness. Whatever the reason, Grandpa taught me so much.

Grandpa had an impressive resume and career... he pastored churches, was a principal of a school, held masters and doctorate degrees, was a dean of students at Moody Bible Institute, and was a professor at Wheaton College. He was so passionate about the Lord and about scripture. He had a verse for every occasion, committed a crazy amount of scripture to memory, and told everyone he came across about Jesus..
My grandparents had five children, the middle one being my mom. I always thought it was so neat that they had such a big family... it makes family gatherings and reunions so much fun! There are so many people with so many interests and talents.. never a dull moment!
As a child, I often felt embarrassed that in the middle of Cub Foods, he would tell EVERYONE we crossed paths with that I was grandchild #8 and I was spending the night and whatever else we were doing... but looking back, it always made me feel so special. I knew that he was so proud of me that he wanted to tell everyone we met about me... and what better way to boost a young child's self esteem but to BRAG about them in front of everyone? Grandpa never met a stranger!

Yes, that's right ladies and gents... the girl with the little neon number? That would be me! ;)
When each grandchild turned ten, Grandpa and Grandma stopped giving us birthday presents, but instead would take us on a birthday experience. One year they took me to see the play 'Annie', another year we went to Disney on Ice... I just love that they would think of something we could actually do together and celebrate our life in that way.
When I was a freshman in college, my grandparents heard about an experience they wanted me to have. Someone from their church shared about a ministry called Little Lambs, which took short term missions trips to orphanages in Ukraine. Knowing about my love for children, they thought this was a perfect experience for me. They called me to tell me about it, sent me a brochure, and offered to pay for me to go on the trip. Because of their prompting, I went on the trip. I didn't know anyone going and was terrified, but that month I spent in Ukraine that summer was one of the most life-shaping events I've experienced yet...just because they knew me and encouraged me to go. I still have the email he sent to me before I left for my month long adventure:
Dearest Annie,
Here is a Verse or two to take with you -- as you go to Serve -- as
unto Jesus (Ala Mother Theresa)....Just read them recently: "O Sovereign
Lord, I am your Servant. You have only begun to show me your Greatness and
Power. Is there any god in Heaven or earth who can perform such Great Deeds
as Yours?" (Deut. 3:24 LBT) "The Eternal God is your refuge, and His
everlasting arms are under you. He thrusts out the enemy before you; it is
He who cries, 'Destroy them'!" (Deut. 33:27 :LBT)
Our prayers, thoughts, and Love go with you. We are Trusting in God's
Care for you and His working through you. We hopefully await your return --
and to hear some of the Great things He (our God) has revealed to you.
Grace, Mercy, and Peace -- from the Source (Jas. 1:17) And
MUCH Love, G..&G. Lower
I can't read that without crying...so filled with truth and love. And he held true to his word - I remember they accompanied my parents in picking me up from the airport after my month away.
Another sweet note I saved from him...
DEAR Annie,
Praise the Lord! We have a 'Sunshiny' day! I am (1) Looking for
the coming of Spring, and (2) the Coming Again of Jesus -- Whichever one
comes first! Both are Wonderful thoughts; pregnant with promises of
Enjoyable times. I (we) are hoping that, you too, are Rejoicing in these
and other Hilarious Hopes.
My personal word of encouragement to you -- via loads of
Grand-paternal love and concern -- To be on Guard against ANY idea of an
'Anthropomorphic' View of God (i.e. -- Creating God in the Image of Man;
conceiving of God in 'Terms' of Human' nature -- as though God thinks and
acts like unto a man.) This has been a part of Humanistic philosophy for
some time; and is, even now entering by traces of inference into Evangelical
theology. And is Not a part of Reformed Theology.
Whereas, the Bible plainly teaches that God is 'ONE' (i.e. Totally
'Unique' -- 'Holy' (apart, separate, intrinsically different). Totally
different from Man.! His Way and Thoughts are Not Our thoughts! (Isaiah
55:11 & following).
A verse of Scripture I have recently found worthy of memorizing is
Numbers 23:19. "God is Not a 'Man', that He should lie. He is not a 'Human
being', that He should change His mind. Has He ever Spoken and failed to
act? Has he ever Promised, and not carried it through? (New Living
Translation)
We Think often of you and Look forward to seeing you. We pray God's
Best to be upon you.
Love ('Agape', even!), G&G Lower
Praise the Lord! We have a 'Sunshiny' day! I am (1) Looking for
the coming of Spring, and (2) the Coming Again of Jesus -- Whichever one
comes first! Both are Wonderful thoughts; pregnant with promises of
Enjoyable times. I (we) are hoping that, you too, are Rejoicing in these
and other Hilarious Hopes.
My personal word of encouragement to you -- via loads of
Grand-paternal love and concern -- To be on Guard against ANY idea of an
'Anthropomorphic' View of God (i.e. -- Creating God in the Image of Man;
conceiving of God in 'Terms' of Human' nature -- as though God thinks and
acts like unto a man.) This has been a part of Humanistic philosophy for
some time; and is, even now entering by traces of inference into Evangelical
theology. And is Not a part of Reformed Theology.
Whereas, the Bible plainly teaches that God is 'ONE' (i.e. Totally
'Unique' -- 'Holy' (apart, separate, intrinsically different). Totally
different from Man.! His Way and Thoughts are Not Our thoughts! (Isaiah
55:11 & following).
A verse of Scripture I have recently found worthy of memorizing is
Numbers 23:19. "God is Not a 'Man', that He should lie. He is not a 'Human
being', that He should change His mind. Has He ever Spoken and failed to
act? Has he ever Promised, and not carried it through? (New Living
Translation)
We Think often of you and Look forward to seeing you. We pray God's
Best to be upon you.
Love ('Agape', even!), G&G Lower
See, he even signed his emails with agape love! ;)
My brother had the privilege of holding Grandpa's hand and being by his side at the hospital when he left this earth. Before he was gone, Jason had the great idea of using FaceTime to allow us to see Grandpa one last time and say goodbye for now. I was so overcome with emotion that all I could say over and over was, "I love you so much, Grandpa." As much as I miss his presence here and in my life, he is finally home. He's with his Savior who he loves so much and reunited with Grandma Millie.
My brother had the privilege of holding Grandpa's hand and being by his side at the hospital when he left this earth. Before he was gone, Jason had the great idea of using FaceTime to allow us to see Grandpa one last time and say goodbye for now. I was so overcome with emotion that all I could say over and over was, "I love you so much, Grandpa." As much as I miss his presence here and in my life, he is finally home. He's with his Savior who he loves so much and reunited with Grandma Millie.


So so thankful for my sweet, stylish (did I mention he had the sharpest sense of style??) Grandpa who loved so well. Love you, Grandpa!
9 comments:
Love this post Annie. So very touching.
Annie, My eyes were tearing up so badly that it was hard for me to focus on the print in this post! I love that you loved Grandpa so much and that he had such an impact on your life! He loved his family through and through; and his Lord first and foremost. It warms my heart that you have such precious memories of him!
This is great! Thanks for sharing.
Crying Annie! Thank you for sharing his legacy. I just told Brian that we must be a light for Jesus like your Grandpa! Agape love! Wow!
Oh Annie, thank you SO much for sharing with us these sweet memories of your grandpa (MY father-in-law). It caused me to reflect on things that I, too, treasure about Dad. Love you! Aunt Ruth
Thank you for sharing friend. He sounds like a real gem, and such a sweetheart. What a blessing to be able to spend so much time with him growing up. He has passed on a rich heritage for sure, and truly a man of God. Praying for you as your 'earthly' heart grieves.
Oh Annie this was such an awesome post! I have chills. What an amazing man your grandfather was and is with his legacy living on thru you.
Thanks for expressing this, Annie. It's cool to see my dad through your eyes.
OK, totally crying now. What an awesome tribute! Love that you still have the letters! What a heritage.
Post a Comment