Tuesday, October 4, 2011

"It hurted but I was so much brave"

We had quite the day today.  Claire had to have a bronchoscopy done.  After dealing with a chronic cough for basically her whole life, her pediatrician suggested we do some further testing to try to figure out what's causing this issue.  It usually goes something like this... Claire gets a cold.  Just a normal, run-of-the-mill cold.  It seems normal for a few days and then she begins coughing.  The coughing usually goes on for 2-4 weeks, even after her cold is long gone.  It frequently results in coughing so hard she gags, throws up, and gets little sleep.  At one point, Justin and I sat in bed listening to her have a coughing spasm ever 3-4 minutes for an entire hour.  It's bad. 

The original thought was that she had viral-induced asthma.  When she was an infant, we had to get a nebulizer and since then have been prescribed steroids countless times for the cough.  The problem is that the neb treatments and oral steroids never seem to improve the cough.  The procedure today helped the pulmonoligist take a closer look at her lungs to find out what the problem is.  We got preliminary results back, which showed some definite abnormalities but we are waiting for a final diagnosis after some test results come back early next week.

We spent six hours at the hospital today.  Although it was a long day, I was so pleased with the care we got.  The Children's Hospital at the U is just amazing and they took such good care of her today.  

   
Before getting her IV... they numbed four different areas before choosing the spot for the IV.

After getting her IV in.  She told me, "Mommy, that hurted.  But I was so much brave!"  They let her pick out a new stuffed animal because she did such a good job.
In other news, we also found out today that Claire is allergic to dairy!  After some crazy symptoms lately, it suddenly dawned on me the other morning that she might be allergic to milk.  Because she was seen in the pulmonary/allergy clinic today, I mentioned my concern and they were able to do an allergy test along with the bronchoscopy today.  A lot of things make more sense after finding that out! 

Anyway, all in all, it was a long, exhausting day for Claire and Mommy but we are thankful that we'll hopefully have some answers soon.  I could definitely see God's hand in all of this... lots of small mercies today that reminded me of his goodness, sovernity, and love today.  Thankful.

9 comments:

Nana said...

So sorry Claire had to go through all that but we are so very proud of her. We hope this brings you answers and an easy remedy for you. But, no matter what, God is in control and He will see you through it. I'm anxious to see her new stuffed animal. :)

Emily Gaskill said...

Thanks for this post, Annie! Maddie saw Claire in a picture you put on Facebook and was so excited to see her and told me she misses her friend. Love that! Praying for definite answers and for God's healing!

Christina said...

wow Annie, I had no idea you guys have been going through all this! Glad to hear you're finally going to get some answers. We'll be praying! What kind of symptoms was she having with the dairy?

The Blackley Tribe said...

Lots of prayers went up for Claire-bear yesterday. I hope the results are helpful, and I'm so glad that you were able to pinpoint a dairy allergy. That may help in more ways than one! Claire, we're so thankful for little, spunky you!

Anonymous said...

I bet you are SO glad to have answers!! Praise God. If you need to know more about how to handle the dairy allergy you should talk to my sis in law Jamie! Anna (my niece) has a severe dairy allergy- the whole fam has now gone dairy-free. Glad all is on the upswing!

Roxanne said...

pole for you all! Hope this helps Claire feel so much better!!

Derricca said...

Oh my goodness! You guys have been through it all it seems! :( So thankful you had a good experience at the U. :) Dustin is planning on doing pulmonology critical care. I am hoping/praying he can be a part of their awesome team someday!

Shadley said...

Annie, after reading this I couldn't stop thinking about Claire and how she had to be on O2 for so long for whatever reason that doctors didn't know...then i was up last night thinking about her! What can we pray for?

Gma Rho said...

Claire is such a little trouper! I'm so thankful that you'll be getting some answers soon and know how to go forward. It's so sad that claire will have to give up some of her fav yummy foods, but she is such a great eater, I'm sure she'll find other things she'll love! I promise not to buy her any more chocolate milk!