Friday, October 12, 2012

It's a problem

Remember this post about my daughter's cute new obsession with fashion/outfits/changing clothes?  Yeah, well it's not so cute anymore.  I had to put a lock on her closet door because she was constantly getting clothes out and making a mess in there.  That didn't stop her creative clothes-changing ways as she simply started choosing things from her (or Emma's) dresser to complete her look instead.  That started getting out of control (think swimsuits layered over jammies, strange mismatched socks, etc..) so I had to put another lock on their bedroom door.  Her only hope now is the small basket of dress up clothes/leotards we have.  It is amazing how many creations she can come up with just from those few items!

Luckily she still lets me offer my suggestions when dressing for school, but on non-school days and the minute we walk in the door from school, she wastes no time putting on some kind of funky outfit.  Her newest addition is that she has started to "do her own hair."  Picture lots of clips, bows, headbands... My oh my.  We are already arguing over hairstyles, clothes, shoes.... And she's only 3!! She is so particular about not only the clothes she is wearing but also how she is wearing them - tucked in vs. tucked out, socks vs. tights vs. leggings, shoes vs. boots.....

I should plant a hidden camera some morning so you can all witness the drama involved in simply getting dressed each morning.  This is one of those situations that makes me think boys would be so much easier!! Mamas of boys, what do you say?? ;)

8 comments:

Julie Rogers said...

Hate to tell you that it is no easier with Aiden---he is at my feet right now begging for me to help him find shorts with bigger pockets:) We have such fits at time that I have threatened to take all the clothes away since they are causing him so much distress (unreasonable, right, but sometimes you get a little irrational when you parent a little one!). Lock on the bedroom door---that's hilarious!

Unknown said...

So funny Julie! I stand corrected! Maybe we came blame it on being 3?!?!

Anonymous said...

None of that around here :) Will & Alex could care less what they wear!! One reason I like having boys :) Although Will IS particular what character he has on his undies...

The Chidisters said...

Both of my older girls have been like this since they were 2 - mornings can be pretty ugly around here. I can only imagine how it will be in about 12 years - 3 teenage girls - ahhh!

Sarah said...

Alex will change his clothes ever so often. I used to think it was a girl thing but this summer he started changing every nap time and now before school he definitely has an opinion on what he wants to wear. What drivees me nuts is he has broken about 20 hangers by trying to yank clothes down from his closet!

Christina said...

I fear that Lauren is headed down the same path... she already empty's her drawers and closet trying to put different clothes on. She also has a very strong say as to when she get's dressed and what she wants to wear. The latest thing was wanting to wear her Dora underwear OVER her diaper. So far Noah has been easier... :) I'll let you know ;)

Jorie said...

I love dressing boys... so easy...and they let me (mostly) pick out what I want them to wear. Even now. I do think we save lots of money buying boy clothes vs. girl ones.

The Blackley Tribe said...

Every sex has it's battle. Ours is wrestling. I can't decide if physical harm to each other or tears over clothing is better. I guess we'll just have to trust that God knew what he was doing when he gave us our children and use their lives to refine our own. I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall when Claire is in action though ;)