Monday, May 19, 2014

Goodbyes

The goodbyes have official started.  Last week I had coffee with a good friend to both catch up and say goodbye.  Saturday night we had dinner to say goodbye to two families that have been so special to us over these two years.

Yesterday was our last Sunday at church.  Our pastor prayed for us and we got more hugs and congratulations than we could count.  Of course there is no perfect church but this group of people became like family to us, which is what we needed during this season of living so far away.

On Friday night, our neighbor insisted we go out on a date while she watched the kids.  It didn't take much convincing... ;)  While we were out, a transformer blew in our 'hood and almost everyone lost power except our house.  So it turned out to be a party at our house while we were gone.  The girls loved it!  This neighborhood and the people here are truly something special.

It pains me to think of all we are giving up to make this move.  I know we have a lot to gain in this move but right now I'm focused on what we are leaving.  It is painful but truly it just highlights how many amazing relationships we've been able to enjoy over these two years.  I always dreamed of living in a neighborhood like this and what a blessing it has been to get to experience that, even if just for one year!  Our church and small group have been such sweet experiences and my life is richer from knowing these people.  I have been challenged, encouraged, cared for, thought of, loved on, and blessed by my friends here.  I am so thankful for these two years. They haven't always been easy but looking back on them, they have been good.

Isn't that just the truth though?  Things don't have to always be easy.  And, honestly, I think it's easier to see God show up when we are being challenged.  It's so much more obvious.  Reflecting on our time here, I can honestly say I am thankful for the way God challenged us by moving us here.  He has proven that He will provide what we need, when we need it.  He doesn't answer on our timeline and sometimes He leads us in a way that we don't understand.  But, even when it's hard, even when it's confusing, even when it's painful, it's always good.  Because He is good.

The last time we moved away from Atlanta, I couldn't get out quick enough.  I hated living here last time.  I never wanted to see this place again.  But this time, I am sad to leave this place.  I love it here.  I really do.  And I think it's cool that God redeemed the ATL in my mind.  When I leave here in 11 days, it will be with sweet, sweet memories.  And maybe even a tear in my eye.    

No comments: