Wednesday, August 27, 2014

On being 8 months old with a curvy spine



Our little man is 8 months!  Umm, time.. can you pleeeeease slow down?  He's eating basically all foods, feeds himself like a champ, scooting around, refusing to take a bottle (Can you believe it?  That stinker child!  I only half hate it though. Since he's most likely our last I'm letting him get away with his mama-only demands.), still toothless, down to one nap a day (poor, poor third child... it's the best we can do with our school schedule!), and generally being adorable.

In other Char man news, he was officially diagnosed with scoliosis this week.  ;(  He has been followed by a pediatric orthopedic doctor since he was about four months old.  Around four months, I began to notice that he when he was lying on his back, he was curving his back strangely and looked a little like a crescent roll.  It started to really bother me so I decided I was either a) crazy, which was a definite possibility or b) sensitive to my mothers' intuition.  I took him in basically just to have my sanity back.

The pediatrician said, "Well, this is a new one!  I've never had a mother bring in a four month old for posture issues!"  I agreed that I very well might be crazy but showed him what I was concerned about.  He said, "Good catch, mom!  I've never seen anything like this in 18 years of practicing medicine!" NOT what a worried mama wants to hear. He referred us to a doctor in Atlanta that we saw a couple of times before moving.  We saw our new doctor here this week. too. After some X-rays, we found out that his spine is, indeed, curved.  His curve is currently at 21 degrees.  From what I've read and heard from his doctor, they usually leave curves 25 degrees or less untreated.  So right now we are just going to continue to follow up and see what happens.  The curve could completely go away as he grows (praying this!), it could stay the same, or it could get worse.  If it worsens, we will have to look into casting, bracing, and/or surgery.  But, we are praying this isn't a road we'll have to go down.

This picture is a good example of what his little curved body looks like at times...


The good news is we don't see that all the time and many times it looks completely straight.  We will see what happens as he grows and pray no intervention is needed.  In the meantime, we are considering physical therapy and/or chiropractic care for him.  Anyone have experience with curved spines and alternative treatments?  Anyone?

So that's our Char man!  We love him, crescent roll shape and all!  :)

2 comments:

Nana and Papa said...

We love him, too! Thanks for the update.

Katie Leipprandt said...

Such a cutie pie!! Praying with you that everything will straighten out as he grows big and tall. Love you girl!