Monday, June 23, 2008

A wedding, a funeral, and a farewell

It has been an emotionally draining week for me! Last Thursday, June 12th, my sweet grandmother had a stroke. In 2001, she had her first stroke and has been struggling ever since. Although she was never quite the same after that stroke, her presence at all our family gatherings was always so special. After her stroke last Thursday, the doctors informed our family that she wouldn't make it through this one. She held on for 5 days and finally entered the presence of her Savior on Tuesday night. I left for Chicago with my mom on Wednesday. Justin later drove out after work on Wednesday night. Since most of the relatives had been in town since the previous week, most of the funeral was already planned, so it was held on Thursday. This was my first grandparent to pass away and for as long as I can remember, I've been dreading the day it would happen. Despite the saddness and tears, her funeral was an amazing tribute to the woman she was. All of her five children (including my mom) shared a tribute to their mother. It was so awesome to hear each of her children share their memories with everyone. A common theme was found between each speech and I was challenged by what was spoken. My grandmother was a sweet, loving, cherised, and dear woman. I was struck by how much she taught her children about life, raising a family, loving others, and above all else, loving the Lord. I left with a desire to be the kind of wife and mother that she was. I miss her already!


After that difficult day, I spent Friday night celebrating the marriage of one of my most cherised friends. I was honored to be invited to her family-only ceremony. I have so many special memories with Erin. We met at youth group and although we didn't go to the same school, my high school days are filled with memories of the two of us. We were always up to something and scheming to get something accomplished. One year, we somehow managed to take three trips to Flordia together! We convinced my parents to take us twice and her parents once... I still don't know how we pulled that off! :) Anyway, Erin's wedding was such a God-honoring event. She was a beautiful bride and I'm so happy for her and Micah! After her wedding Friday night, we also attended her reception on Saturday afternoon.


THEN... as if that isn't emotion-filled enough, on Sunday we had a going-away party for my brother Jason, his wife, Roxanne, and their daughter Annikah. They are leaving on Wednesday for Africa. They will be gone for 2 YEARS!! That means we won't see them at all during that time. After two years, they will come home and then make a decision about whether or not they will return to Africa. We know that the Lord has called them there and this is where they need to be, but we are so sad to say goodbye for so long! Pray for God's safety for their family!


We finally got home at midnight last night and my poor hubby had to get up six hours later for work. We were glad to see everyone that we were able to connect with, but we are happy to be back home now. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Annie! What a crazy time but definitely all for a reason...one of the things that I hope to have when I get married is the strenth you and Justin have toghether as a couple that prepares you for whatever comes at you! I am praying for your fam Sparkle:)
XOXO