Sunday, November 23, 2008

" I don't know. I'm feeling pretty discouraged."

I asked Annie what I should title this one. She simply said " I don't know. I'm feeling pretty discouraged." That comes after this mornings visit from the doctor on his rounds. Each morning in the NICU, Dr. Bell (I'm assuming a pediatrician) comes around with a group of residents and gets the latest in test results and updates from the nursing staff assigned to our room. He then makes the call about what steps are taken next.

We were very excited after yesterdays rounds because his comments were that Claire is ready to have her IV fluids reduced and should be off of the antibiotics today. Those are essentially the only two things still connected to Claire and once off of those, she's completely independent. The nurse sounded confident that she would be able to go home today. Because of that, we decided to camp out in the NICU w/ Claire for the night. They had given us a cot for the room, and there is also a recliner to sleep on in the room as well.

We used our original room in the hospital for as long as they would allow us. They said we had paid for up until midnight last night, so at around 11:20, I was carrying the last of our stuff out : )

Last night I apparently slept through two diaper changes, several screaming babies in other rooms separated by nothing more then a curtain, and countless alarms beeping on the monitors of the various rooms. I think I'm ready for parenthood : ) Annie, however, didn't sleep at all. Being in the room right next to Claire made her feel like she needed to get up every time she got fussy. A wonderful, God given instinct, but not one that allowed her time to sleep.

This morning, when the nurse that was working the 7 am - 7 pm shift came back, the one who was with us yesterday as well, she stated she had been waiting for the official order to reduce Claire's IV fluids, but they never did. This set the time table back because they can't just stop them cold turkey or her glucose levels would plunge. So already the outlook on today was looking not so promising. Then, on the doctor's rounds, he stated that her bilirubin was high, and she would need to be put on phototherapy. This would require about two more days.

The wonderful news is that he finally cut her IV intake in half, and have completely removed her off of Antibiotics. So essentially, its just the jaundice that is keeping her here. We know, and are thankful, that in the grand scheme of things, she now is here for probably the most common of reasons, and the anxiety of her health is well behind us.

So, two more nights. We've also decided to not stay in the room with Claire and instead toss some blankets on the couches upstairs in the family waiting area. This way Annie can get some sleep. They'll call when Claire needs to be fed, but the nurses will be able to handle calming her down when she gets fussy.

The more time that we are here, I am amazed at the thought put into the Children's Hospital at the UIHC. This place literally has everything! And the way sections are laid out almost creates a community where, as you roam the halls, its just you and the other families staying that you interact with. We've also overheard the nurses as they prepare for a new arrival. Babies that have been transported from all across the state of Iowa for the care that is provided here. Some born just over 20 weeks old, others weighing no more then 2-3 pounds. It really is amazing.

5 comments:

Mark said...

I know it is hard, and you probably are anxious to bring her home, but it is SO much nicer to have the level of care of the NICU while Claire is getting over jaundice than trying to deal with it after being discharged. In the hospital, it is so easy to get the bili light treatment and get the blood tests. MUCH better than dealing with a readmittance to pediatrics and also much easier than doing the at-home bili light treatment. So hang in there, this is all part of God's plan, and we will continue praying for baby Claire.

Jenny said...

I know you are ready to get out of there, but it is better to stay a few extra days than to have to return later because the bili-count isn't getting better. It won't be much longer. Then you can get no sleep in your own bed!

Bibi Ronnie said...

Congratulations! Little girls are the best, except for little boys, actually, they are all the best! So happy Claire is here and well.

Anna said...

Justin (and Annie),
Claire is BEAUTIFUL! What a gift from God. I'm so excited for you guys!
Anna (from work =)

Shadley said...

I am familiar with Dr. Bell!! He is a BRILLIANT neonatal specialist! He took good care of my good friends baby girl who was born at 24 weeks gestation. Claire is in good hands!